Friday, June 14, 2013

Woodpeckers

A few weeks ago, a few members of Southern Ocean Birding Group went on a field trip to Old Mine Road, which goes along the Delaware River in New Jersey. The main purpose of the trip was to see  migrating warblers. It was a success, but we heard more than we saw. Although I always had my camera at the ready, the little warblers, stayed high in the trees and seldom stayed in one spot long enough for me to focus on them. Therefore, my best picture on the trip was of a Pileated Woodpecker, which I took near the home we were staying in in Pennsylvania.


 
 
I've also seen Pileated Woodpeckers in Florida and Virginia, but so far, not in New Jersey. I have seen other woodpeckers here, however, and a couple of days ago, I was able to capture a picture of this Red-bellied Woodpecker enjoying the food in one of my backyard feeders.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment